Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Gospel According to Albus Dumbledore

I am reading the Harry Potter series to my daughter of 5 years old. Last night, I read a paragraph that I found so beautiful that I had to blog it. I am taking some editing license, indicated by [], to illustrate the beauty and profound statement that I read into it. This is my take and not intended to reflect any view by the author J.K. Rowling.


[Christ] died to save you. If there is one thing [Satan] cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your [Savior's] love for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign...to have been loved so deeply, even though [the One] who loved us is gone, will give us protection* forever. It is in your very skin. [People], full of hatred, greed, and ambition, sharing [their] soul with [Satan], [can] not touch you for this reason. It [is] agony to touch a person marked by something so good.
-- modified from Albus Dumbledore's commentary on Voldemort, Harry Potter & The Sorcer's Stone, J. K. Rowling. Arthur A. Levine Books. 2003.

I give them [my sheep] eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one.
-- Christ, John 10:28-30.


* edited from "some protection".

10 comments:

Amanda said...

It's funny, Tony, because I have just finished all 5 of the HP books (I read them all in about a week), and I can't believe the symbolism of Harry as Christ and Voldemort as Satan. Dumbledore would be a sort of God-figure, and you could even go as far as to say that Ron, Hermione, Neville, and some of the other kids are almost like disciples.

I have officially become a Harry Potter junky. The books just get better and better, and the last two (maybe even the last three) had me in tears at points. Rowling is an incredible writer.

Phil said...

I told you they were book crack, Amanda.

jettybetty said...

I am so thankful you took some editorial license--I just love this. It's enough to make me try on the Harry Potter books again. Aggie-Ed just loves them and I have tried in the past for him. I assume M. is enjoying them??

Tony Arnold said...

At the moment, she likes me reading to her more than she enjoys the story. She does love the movies.

I am working hard to teach the book is always better and deeper than the movie. But since she cannot read most books for herself yet, it will be a while before I can really illustrate this point.

She loves to read though! I am so proud.

Tony

Amanda said...

You were right, Phil.

Rick got so irritated with me one night because I was reading in bed and not too a good stopping point, when he turned the light off on me. I got mad and stormed into the living room to turn on the light and finish reading. He yelled after me, "You know that's a sign of addiction!"

erinlo said...

Very interesting post, Tony. My husband has read all the Harry Potter books but I couldn't get into them because they were a little too "witchy" for me. Maybe I ought to pick them up again and read in a different frame of mind.

Tony Arnold said...

Erinlo, you have to do what you feel is right for you. But I have no more problem with them than I do with Tolkien or C.S. Lewis's Naria.

Tony

Tony Arnold said...

Naria? A rare series of books that few know that C.S. Lewis wrote, published under the name, I. B. Solews.

As many have said before, I wish we could edit our comments.

Tony

Malia said...

uh, try proofreading sometime

Tony Arnold said...

Bor-ring!