Monday, February 05, 2007

John Remains (or John's Remains)

I find one of the last paragraphs of the Gospel of John (21:22-23) absolutely fascinating, although I don't know what to think about it. I am hoping to get some insightful and interesting commentary from the blog world.

Jesus to Peter concerning John:
Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." Because of this, the rumor spread among the brothers that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die; he only said, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you?"


This passages raises so many interesting questions. Both about Peter's emotions, thoughts, and fears and about the ramifications on John. Concerning John, could this have been a little foreshadowing of the revelation on Patmos (although many scholars believe the John of Revelations was not the apostle John)?

Any comments or insights you may have regarding any of the above, please share.

2 comments:

JMG said...

This is a tough one. I've always just taken the words at face value. Jesus was all the time making little plays on words. I'll bet he was a fun conversationalist.

I'll have to think on this one.

Matt said...

It seems to me that Jesus' point is not what will happen to John. Jesus' point is that it is not about Peter or John but about God's soverignty.