Monday, December 19, 2005

Free Masonry and Legal Kill

This week's post is not a personal commentary or opinion. It is a data and comment collection post on two different subjects.

First, my curosity on a subject I know nothing about was raised recently while watching a movie. When I get curious about a subject, I usually do some quick research trying to find the best books on the subject, and then I get a few to read. The object of my curosity this time is Free Masonry. I know very little about Free Masons. So while I read up on the subject, I would like to collect some insight or comments from the blog world. I will provide no comment for or against so as not to pollute any input, other than to say I am not interested in joining any group, well alone Free Masons, I am just curious.

Second topic: Below are the lyrics to a song I like. Just wonder what your opinion of the lyrics are.

Legal Kill
by Pinnick, Tabor and Gaskill

Only know what I believe
The rest is so absurd to me
I close my eyes so I can't see
But the picture just gets clearer everyday
I read somewhere to learn is to remember
And I've learned we all forgot
There was peace in her before
But that was yesterday

But I can see the beauty that is here for me
The chance to live and walk free
From a legal kill

I know your side so very well
It makes no sense that I can tell
The smell of hell is what I smell
And you hand it out with handshakes everyday
I have trouble with the persons with the signs
but I feel the need to make my own
Yes there are two ways to be
And truth does not depend on me

But I can feel the fight for life is always real
I can't believe its no big deal
It's a legal kill


Have fun with the topics.

Tony

4 comments:

Malia said...

My great uncle was a Free Mason. Other than that I have no idea what they are or what they do. I did come across a letter in my grandmother's things (this was her brother), it was a separation notice form him to the Masons. It was all very formal and legal and final.

Is that song about Terry Schiavo? Whether it is or not, it is very poignant. Thanks for sharing.

jettybetty said...

I know so little about the Free Masons. I think they are rather secretive.

That said, anything I say would be in ignorance (although I did check Wikipedia).

It seems to me they try to substitute their organization for a church. They seem to have great community--although I don't think that community is much of an option for a woman.

I don't think they are open to just all men either. The way I understand they get to choose who they do and don't want in.

That kind of membership is not my idea of a church. I would guess some members do both (Masons and some other church affiliation)--but from what I know about the Masons it seems like some of that could conflict.

I hate to come down very hard on them, since I don't know that much about them. I will wait for your comments from your research.

I will also wait to comment on the song until I know if it is about Terry Schiavo.

judy thomas said...

Tony, I have my father-in-law's Masonry Certificate that he got when he was accepted and his "apron". In his small town, the Masons were just another social organization like the Lions or the Elks. I know that FreeMasonry was very big in Revolutionary times. I think George Washington was one.

Tony Arnold said...

I look forward to sharing what I learn about the Free Masons.

The song was released in 1990 by King's X on their album Faith, Hope, Love.

I am sure the song is about abortion. Interesting the Schiavo comments. Hadn't thought about that. I found it interesting no one guessed abortion.

Tony